Monday, September 1

Another good Jack story


Since Ellie started Kindergarten, Jack is finding some independence. And I think he's enjoying it. He's out-growing naps, and on most days he spends his afternoon playing on his own or with me. One of my favorites is eating lunch with him on Tuesday and Thursday. Amelia is fed at daycare, so when we get home, I put her to bed and he and I have lunch. He gets to pick what he wants for lunch (which is usually peanut butter & jelly - which Ellie doesn't like) and then we sit down together.

He's in a major "jabber-jabber" stage and it takes him nearly a half hour to eat his meal because he's constantly telling stories or concerned about what we are going to do next. I just sit and listen, and coax him to continue to take bites of food.

This week, I asked, "Jack, who is your favorite superhero?" Immediately, he answered, "Batman!" But after a moments hesitation, he added, "Actually...Flash. Yeah, Flash." I thought it was interesting how even at 3-years old he was able to use the word "actually" in a sentence well. I'm sure most parents feel that way - just blown away by their kids' vocabulary use. It really makes you stop and put some thought into the words you are using.

For instance, "dumb" and "stupid" are 2 words that Ellie and Jack yell at us for using. And not that we say them to them, but I might be telling Billy a story, or he to me - and across the room we here, "Billy, don't say stupid!" or "Mama, did you say dumb?"

It's shocking to me that some parents think kids at this age don't know what is being said - or what it means. Whatever! They hear EVERYTHING - and they figure out what it means. We need to protect our kids from filthy language, hateful remarks, and the like. They'll get enough of it in school - and out in public when we can't guard their ears. Being sure that good, positive language is used in our home is a huge goal so they know what is valued and expected. I like this saying better, "Do as I say, and as I do."

No comments:

Post a Comment